the late 1940s, upon completion of the Castle Rock dam, the Wisconsin
and Yellow Rivers backed up to form the Castle Rock Flowage. The towns
of Germantown and Werner became just a memory as the flowage covered
most of the land where they once existed."
1949, one of the twin Petenwell and Castle Rock dams was dedicated.
These dams were constructed on the Wisconsin River by the Wisconsin
Power and Light Company and the Wisconsin River Power Company and were
fitted with large hydroelectric generating plants. This damming of the
river produced the Petenwell and Castle Rock Lakes which now make up
most of the county’s western border. The two largest county parks are
located on these lakes.
Castle Rock park has
over 300 campsites on 160 acres, and is also located on Castle Rock
lake which is 16,000 acres. Amenities include spots for tents and
trailers, showers, flush toilets, water, playgrounds, picnic tables,
swimming (supervised beach), park officer, boating and boat access,
fishing, water skiing, canoeing, grills, shelter, electricity, and